Monday 24 February 2014

Watercolour Backgrounds - using Stampin' Up! ® products

Recently a friend posted on Facebook that they had a week off work and were going to be learning how to paint with watercolour. I would love to be able to paint properly using watercolours. It is something I dabbled with prior to discovering Stampin' Up! I have a box of paints and watercolour paper stashed away from inquisitive little fingers. When I have more time I will get them out and take it up again.

In the meantime, though I was inspired to get out my SU aqua painters and ink refills to create my own watercolour backgrounds. I spent the evening trying our different colour combinations on different cardstock. I found that the Shimmery White held water well and didn't dull the colour either.  I'll have a go with some watercolour paper too but in the meantime, I recreated a card I have made a few different versions of now. I hope you like the versions below. Both of them use Soft Sky, Pool Party and Marina Mist to create an "ombre-esque" background.

stampin up elegant-butterfly bitty-butterfly en francais

For this card I masked the white space off with oversized sticky notes and then stamped over the watercolour background with the En Français background stamp available in clear or wood. I wrapped Linen Thread around three times and then punched out the butterflies using the Bitty Butterfly and Elegant Butterfly punches, finishing off the card with some Rhinestones and a stamped sentiment from the hostess set Express Yourself (also available in clear and wood).

stampin up elegant-butterfly bitty-butterfly en francais

For this card I used the Butterfly Collection Jumbo Wheel stamp, and placed the small butterfly punch outs under the Linen thread.

  • If you would like to order these products and more from my online shop - click here
  • If you would like more information about becoming a demontrator or hosting your own Stampin' Up! party please don't hesitate to contact me on 07788746908 or tracyj.may71@gmail.co.uk















11 comments :

  1. Beautiful cards! I don't think your product links are working, though. Nothing came up when I tried them. Will definitely give these cards a try! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha - and thanks for the heads up re: the links will check them now. :-)

      Delete
  2. These are stunning Tracy! Nicole x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I CASE'd this using watercolor paper with Soft Sky, Pool Party and Coastal Caribbean then Bermuda Bay for the butterfly wheel. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so welcome. I love the sound of your colour combination too :-)

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! I love watercoloring...and you're right, the shimmery (as well as the wc paper) works best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card. Saw it on pinterst and wantend to see more.
    Happy crafting Anneke.
    www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and saying hi x